Volunteer Clearance Requirements
All volunteers at St. Michael the Archangel School are required to adhere to the Diocese of Allentown Volunteer guidelines. Please click on the link(s) below to review the policies and documents necessary to volunteer. If you have any questions related to this procedure, feel free to call Mrs. Spehalski at 610.625.2748.
The safe environment policy and procedures for the Diocese of Allentown and the State of Pennsylvania have been updated. The volunteer clearance processing procedures are attached. All volunteers who interact with children are now required to have the following checks completed every five (5) years:
- PA State Police Criminal Background Check. When doing the PA Criminal Record Check, you will be asked for a volunteer organization name and phone number. Reply with Diocese of Allentown and the main phone number: 610 871-5200.
- PA Child Abuse History Certificate
- FBI Criminal Background Fingerprint Check
- Signed Acknowledgment form for Diocese Sexual Abuse Policy
- Signed Acknowledgment form for Diocese Code of Conduct
- Protecting God’s Children attendance certificate
- Certificate from Mandated Reporting Training (online training course)
- Motor Vehicle Report – only if driving youth
In order to achieve compliance, please act on these updated requirements quickly by completing the 7 (or 8) tasks below:
- Complete the Background Check & Fingerprint Authorization Form for Employees/Volunteers. The form & instructions are below as attachments.
Please fill out the Background Check and Authorization Form and return it to St. Michael the Archangel School (C/O Mrs. Spehalski, 4121 Old Bethlehem Pike, Bethlehem, PA 18015). After the form is processed, you will receive a registration ID for the 3M Cogent System. Once you have the ID, you then need to go to a 3M Cogent site to have your fingerprints scanned. You will receive an original document in the mail. You must bring the original to Mrs. Spehalski in the middle school office.
- PA Child Abuse History Clearance: Go to: https://www.compass.state.pa.us/cwis/public/home. Simply create an account to get started. You must bring the original to Mrs. Spehalski in the middle school office.
- PA State Police Criminal Record Check: Go to:https://epatch.state.pa.us/Home.jsp Click on the “New Record Check” Volunteers Only button to get started. You must bring the original to Mrs. Spehalski in the middle school office.
- Diocesan Sexual Abuse Policy Acknowledgment Form: Use the link below to obtain the form. If you have signed the updated form (dated May 2014), you do not need to resubmit it. If you are unsure, please sign it again to be certain it is current.
Signed Acknowledgment form for Diocese Code of Conduct: Use the link below to obtain the form. If you have signed the updated form (dated May 2014), you do not need to resubmit it. If you are unsure, please sign it again to be certain it is current.
- Protecting God’s Children – If you have not yet attended a workshop, visit the diocesan website for a current class schedule: www.allentowndiocese.org. Pre-registration is required at most classes so be sure to call ahead. After attending the workshop, a copy of your attendance certificate must be given to Mrs. Spehalski to file in the school office.
- For the Mandated Reporter Training, visit the following website: www.reportabusepa.pitt.edu. Simply register to begin the course requirements. Keep a copy of your certificate and provide a copy to Mrs. Spehalski in the school office. NOTE: You do not have to do this training session in one sitting. The site allows you to come back and begin where you left off.
- Motor Vehicle Report: This form is only applicable if you are driving children as a school-designated chaperone; therefore, it will not be applicable at St. Michael the Archangel School.
If you have clearances through your job, originals must be brought to the school office for copying. Copies submitted to the school cannot be accepted.
Please note: If you volunteer for CYO and also St. Michael the Archangel School, Mary Williams (ABVM Rectory) and Mrs. Spehalski (St. Michael School) will work together to avoid duplication.
We realize this is an enormous task to accomplish in order to volunteer within our school and/or parish community, but our efforts are ultimately for the protection, safety, and well-being of the children entrusted to our care. We appreciate your willingness to volunteer at our school and thank you for ensuring we are in compliance with the requirements set forth by the State of Pennsylvania and the Diocese of Allentown.
Please feel free to call Mrs. Spehalski at 610.625.2748 if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks again for your continued cooperation and understanding as we work together toward compliance!